YLS focuses on helping High School students graduate and prepare for and succeed in college and career. Members work directly with Albuquerque High Schools to mentor youth, provide inspirational speakers, and make career presentations. By joining YLS, you will have the opportunity to meet and volunteer with other community members that care deeply about creating a more successful career path for today’s youth.
Young Leaders Society (YLS) is dedicated to inspiring and empowering young leaders to volunteer their time and share their skills and resources to affect lasting change.
- Open to those that make a positive impact through an annual household donation of $500 or more and is geared to those under 45.
- Alternatively, you can volunteer at least 24 hours with any nonprofit funded by the Community Impact Fund of your choosing.
- Opportunities to participate in service projects that help support high school youth.
- Gain a better understanding of the barriers to success that many young people face.
- Meet and network with other community members and business professionals.
- Invitations to all YLS events.
- Recognition on our website.
YLS High School Initiative Fund
The High School Initiative Fund is focused on assisting, inspiring, and empowering youth to complete school, transition into adulthood, and to develop into future leaders. Grants are awarded to those agencies that meet one or more of these focus areas:
- Encouraging and inspiring the continued growth and success of young leaders
- Support educational needs
- Provide life skills
- Inspire community involvement
2020-2021 YLS Funded Programs
- $26,150 to Explora Science Center & Children’s Museum: Explora’s Youth Intern Program
- $100,000 to Future Focused Education: X3 Internship Program
- $50,000 to Keshet Dance Company: Movement + Mentorship = Metamorphosis (M3)
- $70,000 to New Day, Inc: Life Skills Academy (LSA)
YLS Youth Leadership Endowment
The YLS Youth Leadership Endowment will ensure that the work of YLS will carry on in perpetuity. The endowment will provide perpetual funding for the High School Initiative Fund which is designed to assist, inspire, and empower high school youth as they graduate and transition into adulthood.
The YLS Youth Leadership Endowment, held at the Albuquerque Community Foundation, will continue to grow through gifts from visionary YLS members. As soon as it reaches $10,000, it will begin providing annual distributions to the YLS Fund. The principal, however, continues to grow, creating a long-term financial resource.
Interested in becoming a member of YLS or nominating yourself or someone else for a council or committee position? Contact Katie Shaw for more information.