Effective January 9, 2019 Secretary Designate Bill McCamley has issued an emergency provision to the Unemployment Insurance rule waiving the work search requirement for affected federal employees for up to 180 days. The New Mexico Department of Workforce Solutions is offering the following guidelines to essential and non-essential federal employees who have been furloughed due to the federal government partial shutdown when applying for Unemployment Insurance (UI) benefits:
- Federal employees affected by the federal government shutdown who are on furlough or are required to continue work without pay are eligible to file for unemployment.
- There are two ways to file for unemployment:
- Online by going to the New Mexico Workforce Connection Online System at www.jobs.state.nm.us. Individuals can then access the UI Tax and Claims system. The online system is available to take initial claims and weekly certifications from 4:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. Sunday through Friday.
- By phone at 1-877-664-6984 the UI Operations Center is open from 8:00 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Friday.
- Employees who receive unemployment benefits and also later receive a retroactive payment from their employer for the same time period will need to repay the UI benefits received.
See our full list of resources for federal employees or call 2-1-1 for more information.