- You will be able to use your mobile device or home computer to access and complete our free tax preparation service virtually.
- We will be offering covid-safe intake stations, that will require an appointment. We will begin taking appointments January 11, 2021 and the scheduling link will be posted on CNM.edu and TaxHelpNM.org. We will not be setting appointments by phone.
- Some sites will be offering Drop Off/Pick Up services. Drop off information packets will be available at the drop off sites and on line at CNM.edu and TaxHelpNM.org. Drop Off/Pick UP packets will be made available and site locations will be announced January 11, 2021.
- For those who would like to do tax preparation themselves, we will be offering two DIY tax preparation options. We will list the links when they become available the last week of January 2021.
Please be patient with us as we adapt to new challenges this year! Thank you.
What is Tax Help New Mexico
Tax Help NM is a free service for people whose household income is $56,000 or less or those who are 65 years or older. We will help you prepare and file your state and federal taxes for free. Tax Help volunteers are certied by the IRS and are trained to identify eligible tax credits.
A Checklist of What You Might Need
- Identification: Tax payer(s) must have a photo ID (driver license, state issued ID, passport, military ID, tribal ID) Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse, your dependents or anyone else on your return.
- Income Forms: All W-2 forms and 1099 forms (Miscellaneous income, Interest, Dividends, etc.)
- Proof of Healthcare: Form 1095-A or exception number from healthcare marketplace
- Expense Forms: All 1098 Forms (Mortgage and Tuition Statements), child or dependent care expenses, property tax payments
- Prior Year Tax Return (if you have it)
- Bank routing and account number (if you qualify for a refund and want a direct deposit
Prefer to do Your Own Taxes?
We also offer access to self-preparation tax software provided by H & R Block. You can file your own taxes online for free by visiting the MyFreeTaxes website. All income levels are eligible. Organize and gather your tax forms and file both state and federal tax returns for FREE.
Volunteer with Tax Help New Mexico
In addition to helping their fellow citizens, Tax Help New Mexico volunteers earn skills and certifications that can help them in future careers.
CNM students who serve as volunteer tax preparers gain valuable work experience. Many of these students gain the necessary knowledge to become certified Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax preparers, a designation that many employers look for when hiring.
Tax Help New Mexico also offers exceptionally qualified high school students the opportunity to volunteer for the program. Those students earn college credit for their volunteer work while also learning about the value of serving their community. Before you can start preparing returns through Tax Help New Mexico, you must attend a Community Volunteer Training workshop. The sessions include information needed to pass the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) certification exam, which is required for anyone preparing tax returns in the community.
For more information on how to become a Tax Help New Mexico volunteer, please contact email@example.com.
Tax Help New Mexico is provided with the generous support of the Wells Fargo Foundation.