Our Tax Help Service is Now Online!
We have teamed up with the nonprofit, Code For America, to bring our tax preparation service online. With the generous support of the Wells Fargo Foundation, we are offering free tax filing online with help from our local, IRS-certified volunteers. We provide this service to any individual or family with a household income of $56,000 or less. Trained volunteers will prepare and review your tax return before filing and make sure you receive any tax credits you qualify for.
You will need internet access and a way to scan or take a photo of your documents. This is a very mobile friendly site and the entire process can be done on your smart phone. Throughout the step by step process you will be able to chat, receive support and ask questions as you go. Get started by visiting GetYourRefund.org, select 'Get Started' and then click 'Start My Taxes Online' and follow the prompts. You can also file your state and federal taxes for previous years: 2016, 2017, 2018, and 2019.
A Checklist of What You Might Need
- Identification: Tax payer(s) must have a photo ID (driver license, state issued ID, passport, military ID, tribal ID) Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse, your dependents or anyone else on your return.
- Income Forms: All W-2 forms and 1099 forms (Miscellaneous income, Interest, Dividends, etc.)
- Proof of Healthcare: Form 1095-A or exception number from healthcare marketplace
- Expense Forms: All 1098 Forms (Mortgage and Tuition Statements), child or dependent care expenses, property tax payments
- Prior Year Tax Return (if you have it)
- Bank routing and account number (if you qualify for a refund and want a direct deposit
Prefer to do Your Own Taxes?
We also offer access to self-preparation tax software provided by H & R Block. You can file your own taxes online for free by visiting the MyFreeTaxes website. All income levels are eligible. Organize and gather your tax forms and file both state and federal tax returns for FREE.
Volunteer with Tax Help New Mexico
In addition to helping their fellow citizens, Tax Help New Mexico volunteers earn skills and certifications that can help them in future careers.
CNM students who serve as volunteer tax preparers gain valuable work experience. Many of these students gain the necessary knowledge to become certified Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax preparers, a designation that many employers look for when hiring.
Tax Help New Mexico also offers exceptionally qualified high school students the opportunity to volunteer for the program. Those students earn college credit for their volunteer work while also learning about the value of serving their community. Before you can start preparing returns through Tax Help New Mexico, you must attend a Community Volunteer Training workshop. The sessions include information needed to pass the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) certification exam, which is required for anyone preparing tax returns in the community.
For more information on how to become a Tax Help New Mexico volunteer, please contact email@example.com.
Tax Help New Mexico is provided with the generous support of the Wells Fargo Foundation.