United Way of Central New Mexico offers free tax preparation through the Tax Help New Mexico program to families who make $54,000 per year or less and individuals age 65 and older regardless of income.
How It Works
Volunteer tax preparers are available at locations across the state to help you. All Tax Help New Mexico volunteers are certified by the IRS and are trained to help taxpayers identify tax credits they qualify for.
In just the past five years, Tax Help New Mexico has prepared tax returns for more than 104,000 families, like Theresa who needed updated taxes to apply for financial aid at the local community college.
“Thank you Tax Help New Mexico. I had nowhere else to go and I was desperate to get some help. I had some issues with previously unfiled taxes and you were the only ones who ended up actually helping me out.”
What To Bring
- Identification: Tax payer(s) must have a photo ID (driver license, state issued ID, passport, military ID, tribal ID) Social Security number or Individual Tax Identification Number (ITIN) for yourself, your spouse, your dependents or anyone else on your return.
- Income Forms: All W-2 forms and 1099 forms (Miscellaneous income, Interest, Dividends, etc.)
- Proof of Healthcare: Form 1095-A or exception number from healthcare marketplace
- Expense Forms: All 1098 Forms (Mortgage and Tuition Statements), child or dependent care expenses, property tax payments
- Prior Year Tax Return (if you have it)
- Bank routing and account number (if you qualify for a refund and want a direct deposit
Volunteer with Tax Help New Mexico
In addition to helping their fellow citizens, Tax Help New Mexico volunteers earn skills and certifications that can help them in future careers.
- CNM students who serve as volunteer tax preparers gain valuable work experience. Many of these students gain the necessary knowledge to become certified Internal Revenue Service (IRS) tax preparers, a designation that many employers look for when hiring.
- Tax Help New Mexico also offers exceptionally qualified high school students the opportunity to volunteer for the program. Those students earn college credit for their volunteer work while also learning about the value of serving their community.
Before you can start preparing returns through Tax Help New Mexico, you must attend a Community Volunteer Training workshop. The sessions include information needed to pass the Internal Revenue Service (IRS) certification exam, which is required for anyone preparing tax returns in the community.
For more information on how to become a Tax Help New Mexico volunteer, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
Prefer to do Your Own Taxes?
We also offer access to self-preparation tax software provided by H & R Block. If your household income is $66,000 or less, you can file your own taxes online for free by visiting the MyFreeTaxes website.
- Organize and gather your tax forms and file both state and federal tax returns for FREE
- MyFreeTaxes offers free support in english and spanish via phone, email or live chat
Share Tax Help with Others
Tax Help New Mexico is a FREE service for families who make $54,000 per year or less and individuals age 65 and older regardless of income! Tell a friend or neighbor about the program. Let's get the word out and help even more New Mexicans get those much-needed tax refunds.