United Way Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion Statement of Principle
We take the broadest possible view of diversity.
We value the visible and invisible qualities that make you who you are.
We welcome that every person brings a unique perspective and experience to advance our mission and progress our fight for the health, education, and financial stability of every person in every community.
We believe that each United Way community member, donor, volunteer, advocate, and employee must have equal access to solving community problems.
We strive to include diversity, equity, and inclusion practices at the center of our daily work.
We commit to using these practices for our business and our communities.
Join us in embracing diversity, equity, and inclusion for every person in every community.
UWCNM shares the values of United Way Worldwide. For UWCNM:
- Diversity includes expressions of identity reflecting the realities, background, experiences, and perspectives of all individuals, such as the unique attributes such as race, ethnicity, nationality, socioeconomic status, education, age, gender, sexual orientation, ability, and beliefs.
- Equity ensures just treatment, advancement, and access to opportunities for a safe, healthy, and thriving life while identifying and working to eliminate barriers and power imbalances.
- Inclusion means creating an environment in which all are welcomed, respected, and able to fully participate and bring their authentic selves to work.
In order to build sustainable, inclusive, and resilient organizations and communities and an organizational culture where each employee and volunteer feels valued and supported, UWCNM is committed to:
- Substantive learning, accountability for cultural competency, and formal, transparent policies,
- Acknowledging and eliminating any inequities within our policies and systems, and
- Promoting diversity, equity, and inclusion within our volunteer groups and staff.
We expect staff, volunteers, and collaborative and community partners to uphold these values as we work together to build a more equitable and inclusive community. Harassment, bullying, and discrimination will not be tolerated. We consider diversity, equity, and inclusion integral to our work, and at the heart of what it means to Live United.